Maccast 2014.07.07 - Nerdtacular 2014
- The reason I love Gazelle is they can take something I dread and make it painless
- Could I do it myself and maybe get a bit more money? Yes, but why?
- It takes so much time and effort and have to worry about emails, haggling, shipping, am I going to get ripped off?
- With Gazelle it’s search, offer, ship, paid.
- They even will by broken items, pay for shipping, and get paid by check, PayPal, or 5% more with Amazon gift card.
- If you have an old Apple product, cell phone, or tablet and you want to turn it into cash. Give Gazelle a try.
Latest on iPhone 6
- A Chinese site claims the iPhone will be announced on September 15th and go on sale the 25th
- They also claim the 5.5-inch model will be called the iPhone Air (unlikely)
- A September launch confirmed by a reliable source that spoke to MacRumors.
- Apple typically launches on a Friday, so the 25th seems off by a day, the 26th seems more likely.
- Based on past events it would seem an announcement on the 9th and launch on the 19th would make more sense.
- Videos and images of the front panel surfacing
- 4.7-inch model
- Thinner bezel
- Between 6 millimeters and 7 millimeters thin. Closer to an iPod Touch which is 6.1 millimeters
- The iPhone 5s is 7.6-millimeters
- FaceTime camera may have been moved to the left of the call speaker.
- More room for display without adding more height?
- The “curved” display seems more like it’s “beveled” at the edges to me.
- Some reports say the 4.7-inch panel, while bigger, is still useable with one hand. I say that’s “stretching” it (bad pun intended). Lot’s of hand “juggling” would be required at the risk of dropping your device.
- The sapphire glass on the alleged panels has also been torture tested
- Flexed, bent, and stabbed
- Comes out seeming un-scathed.
- Also bent the heck out of it and it didn’t break.
- Also noted the clarity.
- Part, he claims, came via Sonny Dickson.
- Volume buttons are expected to be “pill” shaped instead of circles.
- 4.7-inch “iPhone 6” said to pack an 1,800 mAh battery and the 5.5-inch a 2,500 mAh charge.
- The bump still would put Apple’s devices with smaller capacities than competitors devices at the same screen size. Apple does tend to use battery more efficiently though.
- The increase might also be eaten up by the larger screen, meaning I wouldn’t expect any big gains in battery. 10 hours, like the current models maybe.
- Both versions are expected to get a faster A8 processor and an enhanced camera.
- The larger one is also rumored to have some “extras”, like optical image stabilization and a bigger storage option (128 GB?). It’s also expected to carry a $100 price premium.
- News site Nikkei claimed that the ugly antenna breaks we’ve seen in leaks are just placeholder. Will be replaced with glass, like the iPhone 5s.
- Bloomberg has suggested both devices could launch at the same time.
Latest iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite Betas
- Apple released both to developers this week
- iOS 8 beta 3
- OS X Mavericks Beta 3
What the App is That?
- Returning for it’s second annual appearance
- I take a look at a persons iOS device, locate an App or icon that I don’t recognize and then interview them about it.
- The idea is that most of discover apps from our friends and those are they apps they use and have installed on their devices.
- It worked great last year and we fond a bunch of great new apps, so we’re doing it again.
- Plus, we get to talk to really cool people.
- Gazelle. The fast and simple way to sell your used gadgets! Find out what your used iPhone, iPad and other Apple products are worth at Gazelle.com.
- lynda.com helps you learn and keep-up-to-date with your software, pick up brand-new skills, or explore new hobbies with their easy to follow video tutorials.
- Get a free trial by going to lynda.com/maccast